The Dog Line is in reference to the Port Arthur Prison. The prison housed convicts in the mid 1800’s, and it was a natural prison, with no walls or fences. The only access to the mainland from Port Arthur was through a small strip of land called Eaglehawk Neck, so the port was a natural prison and a good location for such. This strip of land was only 90 feet wide at the narrowest point. In 1833 a guard post was set up and a year later what was called the Dog Line. This was a line of 18 dogs chained together that covered the width of Eaglehawk Neck. The dogs were chained close enough to go nose to nose and were half starved thus not allowing any prisoners attempting to escape through this narrow stretch. Love Port Arthur history!!